Monday, January 19, 2009

Slightly injured but OK

OK, so I figured out the hard way that gravity works.


Some of you may know I have been doing a little destruction and construction at my house. I took apart my deck to move it to the other side of the house, leaving room for a second carport. Well, there is just a small part of the frame of the deck left at the back door. I left boards laying accross it so that I could move the new fridge in, yes, my old one went out. Well, one of the boards was just a little shorter than the others. The deck is 36" high. I stepped on this board, it flipped up as I went down, well, at least my right leg went down. My left leg stayed on the deck. As I am sinking, this board hits me in the chest like a baseball bat. Then, as it rests on the ground, I fall on the board that is now standing straight up. So, there I am, right foot on the ground, left leg still 3 feet up on the deck, wind knocked out of me, and massive marks on the right side of my rib cage from scrapping along the end of a 2x6 board. I shout out a dirty word, then begin the self check list. That is the only way I know to stay calm when injured. First, can I breath? Barely but yes, just the wind knocked out of me. OK, wiggle legs. Either one broken? No. Whew. OMG my ribs hurt. Is one of them broken? I begin to move a bit. I back off of the board. IT burns, I mean like I am on fire. But no sharp pains. I press on my ribs. Nothing, no pain. I press in another area of the ribs. No pain. Ribs are OK. Then I see the road rash. Holy crap. 3" high and about 8" wide, 2 marks where a nail was poking out a bit. But alas, I was very well protected by the brand new 2007 Scarborough Faire shirt I had purchased the day before.
     I am in a little pain now, blocking most with other thoughts. I do have a very sore and swollen area on my rib cage and under my right arm. So, the lesson to learn here is, be sure when you buy a t-shirt from Scarby, that the moons of Saturn are in line, and that there is no gravity, the Earth just sucks.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment